Using GentleLase (alexandrite) and GentleYAG (Ng/YAG) laser hair removal methods, we safely and effectively remove unwanted hair from the face and body. Treatment areas include the face (lip and chin), underarms, bikini area, arms, legs, chest, and back. Using a laser’s high-intensity beam of light, we penetrate deep into the skin tissue where it is absorbed by the melanin in the hair follicle, effectively shutting it down.
Before getting laser hair removal services, you should limit plucking and waxing for six weeks prior to the treatment. The laser hits the hair’s roots and when you pluck and wax, the root is temporarily removed. Trimming and shaving the hair is permitted and expected. You should also avoid sun exposure as much as you can for six weeks before the treatment. Exposure to the sun makes laser hair removal less effective and makes it more likely to have complications after the treatment. Sunblock of SPF 30 or higher should be worn during this time.
During your visit, our physician will guide the laser through the treatment area using a small handheld probe, with each laser pulse treating a dime-sized area of hair, preceded by a short pulse of cooling spray. Most patients require 3-5 treatments, 4-8 weeks apart, as the process is only effective when the hair follicle is in its active growth phase.
After treatments, the area may look sunburned. You can apply cool compresses and moisturizers to help it feel more comfortable. The hair will fall out over the next month. It is important to wear sunscreen for the following month to prevent changes of the treated skin. Blisters may occur in darker complexions, but are rare. Swelling, redness, and scarring could also be temporary side effects.
There are five main reasons why laser hair removal is beneficial:
1. Precise – Lasers target hair follicles and not the surrounding skin. This results in only hair being zapped and not the skin.
2. Effective – This treatment has been used since 1997 and is approved by the FDA for “permanent hair reduction”. It is a long-term treatment and helps reduce the number of hairs regrowing after a treatment. Laser hair removal will permanently reduce body hair, but there’s no scientific proof that it can permanently remove all body hair.
3. Quick – Treatments, depending on the area, can take anywhere from one minute to 15 and 30 minutes. There is no downtime after the treatment and there is no sticky residue left behind.
4. Little to No Pain - Depending on tolerance, there is little to no pain during the treatment. It is a feeling like a gentle pinch or the snap of a warm rubber band. Also, the pain tolerance depends on the area of the body that is being treated.
5. Reduces Ingrown Hairs - With laser hair removal, there is less of a chance of getting ingrown hairs because cleints aren’t shaving or waxing. The hair that grows back tends to be sparse and fine.